Who doesn’t love tacos? I know I do, but I certainly don’t love what they do to my waistline.
Good news! This taco recipe is THM-approved and wonderfully delicious.
Spicy Taco Salads (THM S)
- 1lb ground beef (I used grass-fed 80/20)
- 1-2 Tsp taco seasoning (Recipe below)
- 4oz baby Bella mushrooms, chopped
- 1/2 a medium zucchini, chopped
- 1/2 a bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 c red onion, chopped
Saute veggies until slightly tender. Add ground beef and continue to saute, while breaking down the beef into chunks. Season with 1-2 Tsp of homemade taco seasoning.
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 Tsp chili powder
- 1 1/2 tsp coriander (not essential, but I always have it on hand, so I try to find uses for it. It’s from the seed of cilantro, so it’s a “bright” flavor – no heat to it.)
- Pinch of red pepper flakes
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
Mix all ingredients together in a small bowl. If there’s any leftover, you can store in an air-tight jar for later.
For the salad
- Large bed of salad greens – I used a mix of green and red leaf lettuce and spinach
- 1/2 an avocado, diced
- 1 Roma tomato, diced
- 3 Tsp jarred salsa
- 1 Tsp jarred, pickled jalapeños, diced
- 1-2 Tsp shredded jalapeño cheddar cheese
- Hot sauce to taste
Let meat cool slightly before tossing together with your salad fixings.
If you like, you have an option to enjoy this with one low carb tortilla (any brand less than 6g net carbs each – I like Trader Joe’s brand and Mission.).