This post contains affiliate links, which means I receive a commission off of purchases made using these links. If you’re interested in fitness, the Trim Healthy Mama lifestyle, or just living a more healthy life, please consider using one or more of the links below. The money made helps me feed my growing family and keeps this blog running with free recipes. Thank you!
I love meals that you can spend 5 minutes prepping and then forget about for a few hours. Whether you have a busy afternoon schedule, work all day, or just don’t want to give dinner all your effort, this meal is perfect for you.
The Crock-Pot pulls all the heavy duty – all you have to do is pile the ingredients in, set it, and forget it.
These tacos are seasoned with homemade dry ranch seasoning mix – don’t be intimidated, it’s SUPER easy to make at home! Added bonus? No sugar, dairy, or other additives like the stuff off the shelf. Then I spiced it up a little with some smoky paprika, cumin, and chili powder which lend flavor and spice but not heat (perfect for the kiddos!). The chicken simmers together with the spices, tomatoes, chiles, and onions until it’s fork tender, juicy, and delicious.
[I mean, just look at that beauty! Tender, juicy chicken spiced to perfection and piled on warm, slightly crispy corn tortillas. Come. To. Momma.]
I chose to use gluten free corn tortillas as my wrappers. I was able to find Mission corn tortillas that were gluten free and THM compliant at my local Sprouts. If you have trouble finding them, these Del Campo Soft Corn Tortillas are similar in nutrition to Mission brand. Make sure that with any corn tortillas you always heat them gently in a dry skillet before using them – it enhances their flavor and helps draw out moisture so that they don’t turn to mush.
As far as toppings go, use any E-friendly toppings you wish: fat free sour cream, red or green salsa, hot sauce, lettuce, lime, tomatoes, scallions, radishes, or a light sprinkle of part skim mozzarella cheese. I squeezed lime over mine and it gave the tacos a nice zing of freshness.
This recipe makes a fairly large amount, so it’s perfect for a big family or a make-ahead meal for the week. This chicken would make a perfect salad topper as a rollover meal during the week – perfect for lunches or a quick-fix dinner.
My kids especially loved this meal! My daughter said multiple times, “These are the best tacos EVER,” and she’s in a bit of a picky phase. ^_~
Crockpot Fiesta Ranch Chicken Tacos (THM E)
Credit: Erin Murray, My Fling with Food
- 3lbs chicken breast (frozen or fresh is fine)
- 15oz can mild fire-roasted tomatoes with green chiles
- 15oz can kidney or black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 large onion, diced
- 1/2 Tbsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 Tbsp chili powder
- 1 package gluten free corn tortillas (I used Mission. You can also use these Del Campo Soft Corn Tortillas.)
- Toppings of choice: lettuce, cheese, salsa, fat free sour cream, lime, etc. For the Ranch Seasoning:
- 1 Tbsp minced dried onion
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 Tbsp onion powder
- 1 tsp dried dill
- 2 tsp dried parsley
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- Mix the ingredients for the ranch seasoning together in a small bowl and set aside.
- In a large Crock-Pot, place the chicken, onions, tomatoes (with juice), paprika, cumin, chili powder, and 1 can of water (I use the tomato or bean can to measure, because no dishes) and set on medium-high for 4-6 hours, or on low for 8 hours.
- After the chicken is cooked through, leave the crock-pot on the “warm” setting and begin to shred the chicken between 2 forks. When it’s shredded add the beans and 1-2 Tablespoons of the ranch seasoning mix. It depends on how much ranch flavor you want here – I added about 1.5 Tsp and it was a strong flavor, but you can adjust for more or less. Whatever amount of the mix is leftover, put it in a zip-top bag to use later. Let the mixture stand on warm uncovered for about an hour prior to serving, so some of the water evaporates.
- Prior to serving, prep the tortillas by placing them in a dry skillet on low heat and warming them on both sides. Then pile in the chicken mixture and your favorite toppings and chow down!