I’ve had this one on the menu for a couple weeks, and I’m glad I finally decided to make it. It tasted great, and definitely had us all in a Fall type of mood.
Chicken Stuffed Squash (THM E)
- 2-3 acorn squash, halved and seeded
- 1.5lbs ground chicken
- 2 small carrots, diced
- 1 small red onion, diced
- 1/2 red bell pepper, diced
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1 15-oz can fire roasted diced tomatoes (I used the seasoned kind with garlic, onion and garlic powder)
- 1 1/2 – 2 cups cooked brown rice
- 2 tsp dried Italian seasoning
- 2 pinches red pepper flakes, optional
- 1 Tsp butter or coconut oil
- salt and pepper
Preheat your oven to 350.
Spray each half of the squash lightly with coconut oil and season lightly with salt and pepper. Cover with foil (for 4 halves, I used 2 small sheets), place on a baking sheet, and roast for about 45 minutes. You want the squash to be mostly fork tender at the end of 45 minutes, but still a little hard towards the skin.
In a large skillet, heat the butter or coconut oil and saute the onions, bell pepper, and carrots for about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and saute another minute, then add the ground chicken. Season with Italian seasoning, red pepper, and salt and pepper. Saute about 6-7 minutes until the chicken is cooked through. Add the tomatoes without draining them, and cook for another 3-5 minutes until the tomatoes soften slightly. Stir in the cooked rice, and taste/adjust for seasoning.
Fill each half of the squash liberally with the chicken and rice mixture. Cover loosely and roast for another 15-20 minutes until the squash is fully cooked.
Quarter the squash, and dig in!