This post contains affiliate links, which means I receive a commission off of purchases made using these links. If you’re interested in fitness, the Trim Healthy Mama lifestyle, or just living a more healthy life, please consider using one or more of the links below. The money made helps me feed my growing family and keeps this blog running with free recipes. Thank you!
This will probably make me sound weird, but I don’t care – I love lettuce. All of it: leafy, crunchy, green, grassy lettuce. [Maybe I’m half rabbit?] It’s so versatile and refreshing, plus it’s AWESOME for you.
I used ground chicken as the protein for these wraps, but you could also use ground turkey or pork, if that’s your thing. I find chicken to be a “blank canvas” that you can make into pretty much anything. I sautéed it with onions, garlic, shredded carrots, and shiitake mushrooms, then seasoned it with mild curry powder and ground coriander. At the end, I added a few chopped water chestnuts for more crunch factor.
I tossed it all in one batch of my paleo Teriyaki Sauce for a flavorful, slightly sweet and mildly spicy finish.
Lettuce is the crispy, crunchy vehicle for the savory, flavorful chicken and mushroom stuffing. And don’t be fooled – if you choose a lettuce with large enough leaves, you can really pack it in there. I had some leftover iceberg that I used for these, which worked perfectly because the leaves are big, sturdy, and foldable. But, really, the sky’s the limit on what you could use – green leaf, butter lettuce, red leaf, romaine, you could even use cabbage leaves!
This was also an awesome make-ahead meal for lunch or dinner. All I had to do was gently heat up the chicken mixture, put it into my lettuce leaves and top it – SO EASY. Same thing can be done for lunch – just keep the chicken mixture and lettuce/topping separate so that nothing gets soggy or wilted. Toss it together at the last minute, and enjoy!
Since this is a THM FP, it’s low in both carbs and fat so you can make it what you want. Pair it with some fluffy brown rice and veggies for an E meal. Have an extra wrap for a light S. Pair is with some peanut satay zoodles for a Deep S.
Chicken & Shiitake Lettuce Wraps (THM FP)
Credit: Erin Murray, My Fling with Food
- 1lb ground chicken
- 1/2 small red onion, diced
- 3 oz shiitake mushrooms, stems removed, diced
- 1/2 medium carrot, finely grated
- 1/4 c chopped water chestnuts
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp mild curry powder
- 3/4 tsp ground coriander
- 1 batch of Paleo Teriyaki Sauce
- Lettuce of choice (I used iceberg leaves)
- Toppings of choice: fresh sliced radishes, bean sprouts, alfalfa sprouts, cilantro, chili sauce, scallions, etc.
- Heat a large, deep sauté pan over medium heat with a spritz of coconut oil spray. Brown the chicken, breaking it up with the back of a wooden spoon or spatula, and season with curry powder, coriander, salt, and pepper.
- Add the mushrooms, onions, garlic, and carrots and continue cooking until onions are soft.
- Turn off the heat, add the chopped water chestnuts, and toss everything in the Teriyaki Sauce.
- Cool the mixture slightly before filling your lettuce cups with it to prevent wilting. Enjoy!