This post contains affiliate links, which means I receive a commission off of purchases made using these links. If you’re interested in fitness, the Trim Healthy Mama lifestyle, or just living a more healthy life, please consider using one or more of the links below. The money made helps me feed my growing family and keeps this blog running with free recipes. Thank you!
I love when I can make a large, family-style breakfast without a whole bunch of effort. This chorizo-egg bake is great for breakfast, brunch, lunch, or dinner (BBLD) and it’s a crowd pleaser.
Chorizo is my husband’s favorite, and sometimes I like for breakfast to have a little kick. It’s a spiced Mexican sausage you can find in bulk, or in casing. I like buying my sausage in bulk, so I have more choices as to its use. If you like something more mild, regular breakfast sausage will do just fine.
This is a great make ahead meal – I actually browned the sausage and veggies the night before, so the next morning all I had to do was heat up the oven and plop some eggs on top.
Usually I’ll make something like this as a frittata or casserole, but I enjoyed doing the baked whole eggs because it cooked a lot of eggs at once, and I still got to have runny yolks (which are my FAVORITE). You could also do this in individual ramekins using the same method.
Brown the sausage, zucchini, radishes, and bell pepper together in a big skillet until the sausage is cooked through. Stir in the black beans, then transfer to a baking dish and cool slightly.
Make valleys in the meat mixture with the back of a spoon, so the eggs have a place to sit.
Place the eggs on top and season with a little salt and pepper.
Bake at 400 for about 25 minutes, or until the egg whites are set.
I served this over some chopped rainbow tomatoes and sliced avocados, but there are many more possibilities. Top with fresh pico de gallo, guacamole, sour cream, cheese, or any other S-friendly topper your mind can dream up.
Top with some fresh chopped cilantro, and you’re ready to serve!
My favorite part about this whole meal…
That beautiful, runny yolk coating the sausage and veggies, making its own little sauce.
The sausage lends a little spice, while you get some crunch with the veggies, and the fresh avocado cools it all down.
This egg bake will please the whole family!
Chorizo and Veggie Egg Bake (THM S)
Credit: Erin Murray, My Fling with Food
- 1lb bulk chorizo sausage (or other breakfast sausage)
- 1 medium zucchini, diced
- 1/2 bunch radishes, diced
- 1/2 bell pepper, diced
- 1 c black beans, drained and rinsed (sub cubed sweet potatoes for paleo, or additional vegetable)
- 1/2 Tbsp smoked paprika
- 1 Tbsp ground coriander
- few dashes of hot sauce
- 6 eggs (or one egg per person)
- fresh chopped cilantro
- Toppings of choice: pico de gallo, sour cream, cheese, avocado, etc.
- salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 400.
- Brown the sausage and veggies with the paprika and coriander in a large skillet until sausage is cooked through and veggies are tender.
- Add the meat to one large, or several individual, baking dishes and make valleys in the meat mixture with the back of a spoon. Add the eggs in the valleys, and season with salt and pepper.
- Bake at 400 for about 25 minutes, or until egg whites are set.
- Top with fresh cilantro and serve immediately with toppings of choice.