This quick and easy main dish packs in all the flavor of bacon-wrapped jalapeño poppers without a ton of the work. I’ve even included in a more kid-friendly option, so the whole family can enjoy it.
Jalapeño poppers are one of my favorite things. I mean, cheese, spicy peppers, and bacon?! How can you go wrong?
I roasted my jalapeños under the broiler for a few minutes to soften them. Turn on your broiler to “normal,” halve the peppers lengthwise and spritz with coconut oil spray. Roast on both sides for about 5-7 minutes or until the skin begins to blister.
Place the peppers into a heat-safe bowl and cover with plastic wrap then cool. This helps steam the pepper and release the skin from the flesh of the pepper. When they’re cool enough to handle, peel the skin away and roughly chop.
If you prefer them raw, just finely mince them instead of chopping so that there aren’t any huge pieces of raw pepper.
Next, grill 2lbs of thinly cut chicken breasts. My shortcut is to use the scallopini cut breasts from the store, but you can also slice them thinner yourself. Season simply with salt and pepper, and throw them onto the grill.
Mix the jalapeño with softened cream cheese, salt and pepper, then top each breast with a few tablespoons of the cream cheese mixture and top with shredded sharp cheddar. [For the kiddos, I did not add jalapeño to their cream cheese. My daughter enjoys spicy food, but my son not so much.]
Bake the chicken for about 10 minutes at 350, or until the cheeses are melted and bubbling.
Top with chopped cooked bacon, and enjoy!
My kiddos are bacon lovers, and they devoured this main dish. The best part for me was how easy it was to make. I prepped the bacon and roasted peppers ahead of time, then the rest (with sides) came together in about 15 minutes. Perfect for those busy weeknights!
This post contains affiliate links, which means I receive a commission off of purchases made using these links. If you’re interested in fitness, the Trim Healthy Mama lifestyle, or just living a more healthy life, please consider using one or more of the links below. The money made helps me feed my growing family and keeps this blog running with free recipes. Thank you!
Jalapeño Popper Chicken (THM S)
Credit: Erin Murray, My Fling with Food
- 2lbs scallopini (or thinly sliced) chicken breasts
- 3 jalapeños, roasted and chopped
- 6oz softened cream cheese
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 4 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
- salt and pepper
- Grill the chicken breasts and set aside.
- Combine the roasted jalapeños with the softened cream cheese. *If you have kids you’re making this for also, reserve some of the cream cheese without jalapeños for their portions.
- Top each chicken breast with about 2 Tablespoons of the cream cheese mixture, spreading it around evenly.
- Sprinkle with shredded cheddar, and bake at 350 for about 10 minutes, or broil for about 5-7 minutes.
- Top with crumbled bacon and enjoy!