Salted caramel ice cream is one of my all-time favorites. I’ve tinkered with a lot of different recipes, and have finally found one that is both easy to make and packs a flavor punch.
This ice cream base starts with a keto (or low carb) caramel sauce which does NOT use coconut sugar. All you need for a beautifully colored, rich caramel sauce is some sweetener, heavy cream, butter, and a little patience. *NOTE: Just know that this is not a stable caramel sauce. It does harden some once it cools. That’s why it does well being blended into this ice cream. It goes in smoothly, and gives the ice cream soft texture.
Start your caramel by melting one stick of unsalted butter with your sweetener.
Let it bubble away on medium or medium-low heat until the caramel color starts to develop.
When you see this color, now is the time to add your cream and sea salt. It will bubble up A LOT. That’s OK, it’s supposed to do that. *NOTE: If you’re adding in the optional shot of bourbon, do that right before adding the cream.
Next, reduce the caramel for about 1 minute, then sprinkle in the xanthan gum and continue whisking/reducing until the caramel is thick and beautifully brown.
Set it aside to cool slightly while you prepare the other half of the base.
Add a little caramel extract and the cooled caramel base, then blend until slightly fluffy and thick. With the blender running, begin adding the ice cubes, one at a time, until the temperature of the mixture comes down and it’s thickened.
Next, add your ice cream base to your prepped and chilled ice cream machine and churn until soft-serve texture is achieved (about 10-15 minutes).
Place it into a sealed container and freeze for at least 45 minutes to 1 hour before serving.
The only thing that beats how simple this ice cream is, is the TASTE. It’s rich, creamy with a distinct caramel flavor with a hint of sea salt.
This recipe brings the caramel flavor, while keeping the texture of the ice cream perfectly soft and spoonable.
This post contains affiliate links, which means I receive a commission off of purchases made using these links. If you’re interested in fitness, the Trim Healthy Mama lifestyle, or just living a more healthy life, please consider using one or more of the links below. The money made helps me feed my growing family and keeps this blog running with free recipes. Thank you!
Keto Salted Caramel Ice Cream (THM S)
Credit: Erin Murray, My Fling with Food
- For the caramel sauce:
- 1 stick unsalted butter
- 1/2 c heavy cream
- 1/4 c Pyure or THM Gentle Sweet
- shot of bourbon *(optional)
- scant 1/8 tsp xanthan gum
- 3/4 – 1 tsp coarse sea salt For the ice cream base:
- 4 whole eggs
- 4 egg yolks
- 1/3 c raw cacao butter, melted
- 1/3 c coconut oil, melted
- 1/4 c MCT oil
- 1 tsp caramel extract
- 2 Tbsp vegetable glycerin *(optional)
- 8-10 ice cubes
- Begin making the caramel sauce by combining the butter and sweetener in a large sauté pan over medium-medium low heat.
- When the butter is golden brown in color, add the bourbon (if using) and cream. *Mixture will bubble heavily, that’s OK!
- Reduce for about 1 minute, then add the xanthan gum and sea salt and continue reducing until the caramel is thick and golden brown. Set aside and cool slightly.
- Prepare the ice cream base in a blender by combining the eggs and yolks, melted cacao butter and coconut oil, MCT oil, and caramel extract. Blend on high until everything is well incorporated. Add the slightly cooled caramel sauce and vegetable glycerin (if using), then blend again.
- With the blender running, begin adding the ice cubes, one at a time, until the temperature of the mixture is chilled and slightly fluffy.
- Add the cooled ice cream mixture to your prepped and chilled ice cream machine and churn for 10-15 minutes, or until the mixture is the consistency of soft serve.
- Transfer to a freezer safe container and freeze for at least 45 minutes to 1 hour before serving.