This post contains affiliate links, which means I receive a commission off of purchases made using these links. If you’re interested in fitness, the Trim Healthy Mama lifestyle, or just living a more healthy life, please consider using one or more of the links below. The money made helps me feed my growing family and keeps this blog running with free recipes. Thank you!
Pizza night is always my kids’ favorite night. To be honest, it’s my favorite night too! When you can get a quality pizza thrown together and baked in about half an hour, how could you not love it?
White pizza is a fun change-up from regular pizza, and helps keep the carbs down since there’s no sauce involved.
The crust of the pizza is fathead pizza dough, which is mozzarella cheese (the bagged kind is usually best), cream cheese, egg, and fine almond flour. In my pre-THM days, I used to make my own pizza crust, and I am SO GLAD there’s an easier method that’s actually better for you. No waiting around for the dough to rise, and it comes together in about 5 minutes.
Start the dough by combining the mozzarella and cream cheese in a microwave safe bowl, and heat for about 1 minute at a time until the cheese is fully melted.
Stir it together, it should be hot and stringy. Add the fine almond flour, and stir again. Adding the flour before the egg allows the mixture to cool slightly so that the egg won’t cook as you add it to the dough.
Add the egg, and stir until it’s fully incorporated. It takes some muscle work, just so you know. When it’s fully mixed, the dough should like like the photo on the right, below.
Next, place your dough onto a 10-12-in round pizza pan lined with parchment, and with slightly damp hands begin to press it out.
Dab the surface with a fork to keep it from puffing up too much while baking.
Next, combine the butter, dried parsley, granulated garlic, a pinch of salt (if using unsalted butter), and some pepper. Use a silicone brush and brush the crust (not the edges yet) with the seasoned butter.
Bake the crust for 10 minutes at 375 degrees. This helps ensure that you have a cooked, crispy crust at the end.
Next, pile on the toppings: diced chicken, shallots, garlic, cheese, spinach, and crumbled bacon.
Now brush that buttery garlic mixture onto the outer crust, and dust the whole thing with some grated parmesan cheese.
Now bake that baby for another 10-12 minutes, until hot and bubbly Flavortown (Any Diners, Drive-ins, and Dives fans out there?!) deliciousness.
THAT is a thing of beauty.
Crispy and slightly salty on the edges from that parmesan. Cheesy, flavorful, fresh, and meaty toppings – delivery ain’t got nothin’ on this, baby!
My favorite pizza finisher is a pinch of red pepper flakes for an extra kick. Serve this bad boy with a big, green salad (with homemade ranch, perhaps?) and call it a wonderful night.
Chicken & Spinach White Pizza (THM S)
Credit: Erin Murray, My Fling with Food
- For the dough:
- 1 1/2 c shredded mozzarella cheese
- 2 Tbsp cream cheese (I used 1/3 less fat)
- 1 egg
- 3/4 c fine almond flour
- pinch of salt Toppings:
- 1 heaping cup cooked diced chicken
- 2 strips cooked bacon, crumbled
- 1 small shallot, minced
- 1 clove garlic, grated
- about 1 cup frozen chopped spinach, thawed and ringed of its water
- additional 1-2 cups shredded mozzarella
- 1/4 – 1/2 c grated parmesan cheese
- 3 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 tsp dried parsley
- 1 tsp granulated garlic
- pinch of salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- For the dough, combine the mozzarella and cream cheese in a microwave safe bowl. Microwave on high for 1 minute at a time until cheeses are fully melted, hot, and stringy.
- Add the almond flour and salt.
- Add the egg.
- Press the dough into a 10-inch round pizza pan, lined with parchment, and perforate with a fork.
- Melt the butter and stir in the parsley, granulated garlic, salt, and pepper. Brush the crust (not the outer edge yet) with the butter, and bake for 10 minutes at 375.
- Remove the crust, and spread the rest (reserving the parmesan for the end) of the toppings all over the top of the pizza.
- Brush the outer crust with the butter mixture, then dust the whole pie with grated parmesan cheese.
- Bake at 375 for another 10-12 minutes, or until browned, hot, and bubbly.
- Cut and serve!